Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Why do we eat Matzah?


Matzah, matzos, matzah balls, brei, meal. I don't care I love it. This unleavened bread or cracker bread is a comfort food for me, and a very serious symbolic food that is mandatory for Jews to eat for seven days during the holiday of Passover.

This bread is made simply of water and flour and is made in a quick baking process. Because the Jews leaving Egypt had no time to wait for their bread to rise, Matzah was born! Today it symbolizes redemption, and freedom. Matzah is the most popular Passover food because for all carbohydrate addicts (thats me) this is withdrawal week and Matzah is the only bread like food allowed to eat. I don't mind though because 'm not strict and I really enjoy Matzah.

Top this flat bread with butter, honey, tomato sauce and cheese, cheese. Get creative. Or not your choice.
I don't believe there are any health benefits of Matzah. Maybe lower calories. Sorry I should have researched better.

My cousin Becky gave me an idea to make a Matzah Lasagna so here is my take!

Vegetable Matzah Lasagna
4-5 pieces of Matzah
2 cups tomato sauce
1 onion chopped
2 small zucchinis cut
1 small yellow squash cut
1 cup spinach
1/2 cup cheese (Mozzarella, for dani vegan cheese)
2 tbs olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste (Red pepper flakes or Italian seasoning good too)

In a sauté pan, cook vegetables in olive oil until cooked. (Add salt, pepper etc.) Add tomato sauce to vegetables. Now, assemble the lasagna substituting pasta with matzah alternating matzah and tomato sauce vegetables. On the top layer, add excess tomato sauce and top with cheese. Bake for 15 minutes at 350. Okay see ya!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment